Monday, July 26, 2010

Buying "Rerooted" Sindy Dolls

Firstly, beware of sellers selling rerooted dolls they didnt reroot themselves. They cannot guarantee the quality of the work, or for that matter tell you exactly how the doll was rooted and by what method. This seems like a good cop out excuse to me! "Well, I DID say I didnt reroot the doll so I didnt know all the hair would fall out when you tried to wash and brush it!"


Secondly, ALWAYS read the description carefully to ascertain method used and what hair used etc. There are many methods in use for rerooting. I personally prefer the knotting method, but I believe the weaving method to be very secure also. It is preferable that glue isnt used. This isnt necessary with the double knotting method. Although a little glue is necessary when replacing the rooted in lashes, otherwise they are liable to push back into the eye.


For those wishing to start this hobby, I advise starting on 2gen dolls as they have very soft and pliable heads and fewer holes plugs to fill. I find saran hair is best, although nylon does hold a curl really well. You can obtain advice from retrodolls.com, restoredoll.com, mylittlecustoms (Robin) and many others who will be only too happy to advise you. Dont be afraid to ask questions. We all have to start somewhere! I received some excellent advice when I first began.


Good luck and hope this was helpful.



___________________________________________________________________________


Further....................


It would appear my guide has offended someone. Firstly, it has never been my intention to offend anyone just to be informastive and helpful. I do not mention Ooak Sindy dolls in my guide so I am very unsure where she has got this from. An Ooak simply means "One of a kind" - it doesnt have to mean home-crafted everything. An "Ooaked" doll may have her hair changed, an outfit may be homemade but doesnt have to be, but can be accessorized to owners own design, etc. etc.


The unpleasant remark about negative feedback is unkind. The few I have were retaliatory under the old feedback system - give a neg and automatically get one back, often making people become afraid to leave negs where deserved.


Generally speaking, it is obvious that where hair has just been poked into the head it will come out if not glued as well! To then go on to criticise the knotting method...... which everyone knows to be one of the most secure methods of rerooting. Please just bewarewhen buying dolls rerooted using the rerooting tool method that the seller has glued the hair in place orIT WILL come out if you brush it!


Only trying to be helpful and prevent others from wasting their money on dolls which havnt been rerooted securely. I would respectfully suggest that the person who took offense to my guide make sure she lets potential buyrs know she glues the hair in after she has jut poked the hair in the holes as I am quite sure fresh air wont keep the hair in on its own!'Nuf said. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment