Friday, July 23, 2010

Buying a HARP from abroad/Far East - a friendly warning

My daughter is studying the Harp and we needed a small instrument for her to take to school but didn't have the usual 800 to 1000 that it would take. So, after careful consideration, we decided to purchase a small lap/folk harp from a company in Pakistan. It arrived promptly, well packaged, good travel cover and whole packet of spare strings.


The harp itself really looks the part - an attractive lighweight instrument, exactly what we were looking for...provided that is, as long as you don't actually want to play it!


It was impossible to tune. At first we felt that this may be due to it being new - new harps are notorious for having to be constantly re-tuned. But this harp was not just having to be re-tuned, it wouldn't be in tune to start with despite our best efforts. Evnetually we had it looked at by Pilgrim Harps whosaid that the levers and cams were all in the wrong places and that in these postitions, it would never be possible to tune it. They also said that they had seen many harps like this, purchased over the internet from the Far East. The neck was also badly bent and weakened due to its poor manufacture.


Pilgrim managed to re-align the levers and cams for us so that the harp is now just about playable - this remedial work cost 100. WHilst the instrument is ok to leave at school, it would not be suitable to perform on as it is not reliable enough and needs to be constantly re-tuned (as the neck is 'moving' due to its poor construction).


I have chalked this one up to experience - I had already left good feedback because I did this as soon as the harp arrived (I now wish I had waited).


I just thought I'd try and highlight my bad experience in the hope of preventing anyone else getting caught. These harps comng in from Pakistan are really not worth buying. Put the money towards a harp from the UK - there are plenty of folk harp makers around and if possible, try it before you buy it!


As an adendum, I have felt the need to add that I have noticed the same type of harp that I purchased is now being sold by 'a UK seller'. Please do research your purchase before you buy - a reputable harp maker/dealer will be contactable somehow by telephone. I can only suggest that you speak to them and make sure that the instrument you are buying is going to be playable.

No comments:

Post a Comment