Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moorcroft Graded Pottery - Sub Standard

Since writing my guide about spotting Moorcroft seconds, I have been asked many questions by people from all over the world. I have noticed that I am now receiving more contact about the Moorcroft factory's new system for marking sub standard items which are classed as graded. These graded pieces fall somewhere between first quality and seconds quality, so they don't get the red dot treatment.The new method is simply a hand written capital letter G inside a circle, usually in dark green or black. It is similar to the copyright mark which they also write on the base (capital C inside a circle), and can be overlooked quite easily! Be sure to check the base of later Moorcroft for this symbol, because not everybody who is selling a graded piece will be as honest as the majority!Please keep this guide prominent for the rest of the Moorcroft collecting community by voting YES if you found this information useful.Any questions are welcome, but please allow a little time for me to answer as some messages get sent to my spam folder and are not read until I trawl through it.

1 comment:

  1. What does a capital T inside a tablet or arabian arch signify?

    ReplyDelete